We hope you don’t eat so much turkey for Thanksgiving that you “pop”! But if you do and are looking for ways to keep tired kiddos happy then whip up a few of these turkey-bombs and they will be laughing and learning science. We discovered how fun these were for Halloween here and I think you’ll love them too with a turkey twist.
Here’s what you need: Ziploc bag, markers, water, food coloring, and 3 Alka-Seltzer tablets
Here’s what you do:
- Make the cutest turkey possible on the Ziploc Bag
- Fill the bag about 1/4 full of water
- Hold 3 Alka Seltzer tablets in the top empty corner of the bag
- Seal bag without dropping tablets in
- Then let go of the Alka Seltzer and shake the bag allowing the Alka Seltzer and water to mix
- Hold your I-phone steady because you’ll even be surprised when it pops!
Check this out…
What’s the science?
Alka-Seltzer is made of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and citric acid. When you toss it into water the tablet dissolves and mixes the acid and base together and releases carbon dioxide. This is a similar reaction to mixing baking soda and vinegar. The bag blows up because the carbon dioxide is trapped inside.
Have a great Thanksgiving visiting family and entertaining with a bit of fun science!